Saturday, October 25, 2008

Hello!

This blog is for any woman considering a DIEP flap reconstruction following mastectomy and breast cancer treatment. I hope you find the info and pictures here interesting and informative. I will tell you about my experiences with this surgery and answer what questions I can. However, I am not a doctor and would encourage any woman thinking about having this surgery to talk with her oncologist and other doctors.

Thanks for visiting!

Now, a little (actually a lot) about me...



On September 11, 2005, I was taking a shower and felt a lump in my left breast. It felt about the size of an egg. The more I felt it, the larger it seemed to get. Before long, I was sure I had a bowling ball inside my breast!

Very long story made shorter, after several doctor appointments, seemingly endless tests (mammogram, MRI, CT scans, etc.), and filling out endless sets of paperwork, I was finally diagnosed with Stage III invasive breast cancer. Not only did this mean the cancer was very aggressive, but an escape attempt had been made by the cancer to get out into my body through my lymph nodes.

What did this mean for me? Within two weeks of finding the lump I began the very real (and very surreal) experience of breast cancer treament.

My first surgery was for the placement of a port in my chest, just under my right clavicle. The port was for the administration of chemo. The next day I began pre-adjuvant chemotherapy. The hope was to shrink the tumor down as much as possible before my mastectomy.

I received 6 cycles of two drugs - Cytoxin and Adriamycin. I would receive the AC combo on one day, come in the next day for an injection of Neulasta (to stimulate white blood cell production) and then return two weeks later for another dose of AC.

I lost my hair - ALL my hair (heehee - yes, I lost that hair too...) shocking, yes, but to tell you the truth, it made taking a shower absolutely a breeze - 5 minutes in and out! No shaving, no messing with hair stying, etc. I had funny tastes in my mouth. I stopped exercising, but continued to ride my horse. I never threw up (I was given powerful antimetics for that). I felt tired. I slept a lot. I gained weight (17 pounds). I wore beautiful scarves to cover my head. I went to work when I could, and took days off when I needed to (and didn't apologize for it, 'though I did feel a bit guilty...but not much. Hee.)

After AC, I began weekly treatments of TH - Taxotere and Herceptin. After AC, these two drugs were a walk in the park. No side effects. No side effects! A dream! My hair started to grow back. I was still tired but was able to work full time, only taking a half a day off once a week for my chemo.

In January 2006, I had a modified radical mastectomy on my left breast. I spent a night in the hospital and went home the next day. The following week I was back to doing laundry, my favorite pasttime (hee). However, I had to take six weeks off work plus no exercising (except gentle stretching and such to return the range of motion to my left side) and no riding. I had two drains under my arm that needed to be emptied three or four times a day. When the liquid being drained off reduced to less than 10 ml combined for the entire day, the drains could come out. I continued to receive weekly doses of TH.

Because nine lymph nodes were removed from my left arm, I am now at risk for a disease called lymphedema, which is when the affected limb can become painfully swollen and infected. It is incurable but things can be done to prevent it. I will be at risk for it the rest of my life. Lymphedema is unpredictable and irreversible. I wear a medical bracelet on my left wrist that has my name and the instructions of "No blood pressure, no needle sticks" engraved on it.

The T part of TH went on for ten doses. The H part continued for another year - yep, a whole 'nother year. Every three weeks, I would return to my oncologist for Herceptin.

In Feb 2006, I visited Dr. Navin Singh at Johns Hopkins University to consult about reconstruction. I had chosen to have a DIEP flap reconstruction. I chose this over a TRAM flap procedure because the DIEP flap is a completely free-flap surgery. With a TRAM flap reconstruction, there is a risk of herniation at the surgery site on the belly (because muscle is still attached to the flap), and with my riding and exercising, I didn't want to take the risk of that happening.

In March 2006, I started 33 daily doses of radiation (5x per week, M-F). I had ballooned up to 187 pounds. I am only 5'3". I felt like a cow. My hair grew back intensely curly, which I hated at first, but then grew to love. Although I wanted to go back to work half-time (becuse I was rapidly running out of sick time), the TPTB at my job would not allow me to return at all, so I was forced off for another six weeks. During radiation, it seemed like I was constantly sleeping. My skin tolerated the radiation well, but I stopped riding after the first 28 or so treatments because my skin began to show sensitivity. I used creams and gels provided by the doctor the maintain the heath of the skin.

Did I mention that my radiation oncologist is married to my plastic surgeon?


Sooooo.

It is now Oct 2008. I am off all drugs. I continue to see my doctors periodically for tests to make sure I am NED - No Evidence of Disease.

2 comments:

LLM said...

Hi! Great to find your post. I am in parallel place to where you were in 2008, about 2 1/2 years past a stage 3 dx. Finding it challenging to commit to reconstructive surgery, the risks, the time down (w/3 teenagers!), etc. Love the results of the diep-you look fabulous! I have local option of 12 hr (for bilateral diep) or travel to have team perform (6-7 hr surgery.) So naturally I prefer the team but the scheduling is nearly impossible. I look forward to reading more on your blog but just had to jump on and tell you thanks for writing!

Wishing you well,
Lisa

Survivor 2005 said...

Thanks for the kind words! Come back and let me know what you decided and how things went!